VAPING INFORMATION (OUR COLLECTIVE EFFORTS, CONSEQUENCES, AND SUGGESTIONS)
Dear Students & Families:
As vaping continues to be a nationwide health epidemic (please read below), we ask for your support in preventing, at minimum, the possession and use of vape products on campus (as well as other banned substances). Our most important goal is a safe, healthy, inclusive, and trusting environment. Please join us in this collective effort.
With regards to consequences, students will be assigned suspension based on the quantity of THC and if previous infractions have occurred. Furthermore, RBPD is citing students for possession/use of THC. The citation can lead to a fine, as well as court-directed drug education. The sale of drugs will lead to arrest and expulsion.
This cannot solely be a school effort. Pushing vaping products, drugs, and alcohol off of our campus must be a community effort. We need all students and families to do the following:
- Understand that school is like a job. Vape products, drugs, and alcohol are not accepted in places of work, nor are they in places of learning. Students and families who understand this expectation are much more likely to be happier, healthier, and more successful
- Educate yourselves around the topics of vaping and substance abuse. Engage in collaborative, trusting, and open conversations. Parents and guardians, you must take the lead. Please begin or continue these discussions today
- Be aware of your social groups and peer relationships (adults and teenagers). Human nature seeks the path of least resistance. Where are the toxic and destructive gatherings taking place? What influences do they have?
- Report students who may be engaging in vaping or other illegal actions. Please contact an administrator, any staff member, and/or RBPD.
- If a disciplinary event does occur, as always, let’s seek out collaboration, rather than confrontation. Help us promote ownership and next steps. Let’s make sure our conversations are solutions-based
Thank you for your continued support