Ms. Vurusic - Redondo Beach Learning Academy
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year at Redondo Beach Learning Academy! My name is Nicole Vurusic. It is my third year teaching at RBLA, but I have previously been with the RBUSD for 2 years in other capacities and have 8 years of classroom experience outside of the district. I received my BA in Teaching of History back home at the University of Illinois at Chicago and taught on the city's Southside. In the years prior to moving to California, I taught in various high school and alternative school settings in Milwaukee, WI.
This year I am so happy to welcome everyone back in person! I encourage students and families to start off strong and on the right track towards the finish line. Whether your goals are to ultimately return to another RBUSD program, or to earn your diploma through RBLA, this year will continue to test your character, determination and ability to advocate for yourself. We are excited and prepared to help push you towards your full potential! You can do this; and we have your back!
Information on Returning to Campus:
- School Schedule – We will be returning to a full day, in person schedule this year. Students should arrive on campus by 8:00am through the back parking lot gated entry and report to Room 8/RBLA classroom. Come prepared with your Chromebook, charger and hoodie as the classroom sometimes gets chilly. Students will be dismissed at 2:30pm. Any arrangements to pick up/release students within that time frame must go through the main office at (310) 798-8690.
- Food/Drink – A small breakfast and midday lunch will be provided, but students may also bring snacks and water bottles. They will NOT be permitted to leave campus and are NOT permitted to order through delivery apps – so come prepared!
- Cell Phones – RBLA will follow its pre-Covid protocol of collecting all student cell phones upon arrival on campus. Phones will be stored in a locked location throughout the school day. Students will NOT have access to their cell phones, therefore any emergency communication should be made to the classroom via the main office at (310) 798-8690.
- Masks – Under direction and guidance from the Los Angeles County Health Department, all staff and students are REQUIRED to wear face masks while inside school property. Students will be given opportunities to take breaks outdoors where masks are optional. Please be prepared and come with your personal face covering each day.
- Other Covid Precautions – Hand washing, social distancing and self-awareness are still key to ensuring a Covid-free campus. If your student feels sick or is demonstrating Covid symptoms, please stay home. Contact the main office at (310) 798-8690 to report your student’s absence. There will be additional information on upcoming vaccine clinics soon.
- Communication – This year parents will continue to receive weekly progress reports updating them on their students’ individual daily progress. I am also available to discuss any individual concerns via phone, by appointment. Please reach out with any questions or concerns so that we can work together to support your student this year.
We have all been through a lot the last 15+ months and we are VERY excited to return to “normal” this upcoming school year. I look forward to seeing your (masked) smiling faces and helping you continue on your path towards graduation. I have no doubt that we will see great things from our RBLA family this school year.
Phone at South Bay Adult School:
(310) 937-3340 (ask for RBLA/Room 8)